Dog Control

Office of Dog Control

Part-Time Dog Control Officer: 

Dave Brown (518)477-0908 - Leave Voice Mail  

The Purpose and Philosophy of the Malta Animal Control Department is to promote and ensure public health and safety, to facilitate responsible pet ownership, humanely and responsibly care for the animals in our charge, provide prompt and courteous service to our customers and to provide education and positive enforcement efforts. 

NYS Agriculture & Markets Law

ALL dogs four months of age or older MUST be licensed in the municipality in which they are harbored.  Every dog owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed.


Dog Licenses are renewed on a yearly basis. Each dog is assigned a permanent official identification (ID) number and issued a metal ID tag which is to be attached to the dog's collar. Please, provide the following when licensing a dog:

  • Proof of ownership - usually in the form of a veterinary bill / medical statement
  • If the dog is spayed or neutered - a certificate from the veterinarian showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, unless this proof is already on file with the clerk
  • Proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine

For Guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police work dogs, service dogs, working search dogs, detection dogs, or therapy dogs; satisfactory proof is required, such as a training certificate, etc. for licenses


$10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs-annual update

$18.00 for unaltered dogs-annual update

$20.00 late fee for any 30 day late annual update (As of June 1st, 2019)

$25.00 if issued a warning for an unlicensed dog

Replacement Tags: $3.00

Guide, war, hearing, police work, service, working search, detection, or therapy: NO FEE

Explanation of FEES

$1.00 of the fee for spayed/neutered (NYS regulation) goes to an Animal Population and Control Fund.

$3.00 of the fee for Unaltered (NYS regulation) goes to an Animal Population and Control Fund.

Exemptions (PDF)

Dog Licensing Form (PDF)

Wildlife Health & Nuisance Wildlife Complaints

For any wildlife animal concerns please contact your local DEC Regional Wildlife Office at (518) 897-1326 or contact a wildlife rehabilitator near you. If you need help during weekends or off hours, please contact the Environmental Conservation Officers dispatch line at 1-877-457-5680.

For any nuisance wildlife complaints, such as situations with bats, rodents or insects, please contact a pest control service specializing in nuisance wildlife removal.

Cruelty to Animals

To report suspected animal abuse, please call the State Police at (518) 899-2225 or any law enforcement agency.

You can also visit the ASPCA Website or call at (518) 798-3500.